Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Guilty Pleasure: All things Korean

I am 1/4 Korean. My dad was born in Seoul and lived there til he was four. He moved to the states with his dad after his mom, his Korean half, "passed away" (my dad grew up being told she had died but my grandpa secretly divorced her). Growing up in the US, he never knew anything of his Korean heritage and culture, which for some reason didn't seem to trouble him. When I have asked about it, he has only seemed indifferent. I on the other hand have felt as if I have missed out. I didn't grow up with any grandparents and as I have grown up I have gotten to know a little bit about them from my parents. All except Kim Soo Young. I know nothing of her, of where she lives or if she is even still alive. Part of me is drawn to find out and the other part grounded in the reality that I'm too poor to just up and travel to Korea to find out. Still. I yearn for a piece of that culture I missed out on.

With that in mind, I have recently started watching some Korean television shows. I confess, they have become my guilty pleasure and I cannot get enough of them. I've watched all of Heartstrings, which I absolutely loved and I'm in the middle of Flower Boy Ramen Shop and You're Beautiful. I've also been enjoying some Korean music from C.N. Blue. I've already started picking up pieces of the language and after watching some of the shows, I've started cooking more "Korean" food, which I'm still learning how to do. So this is my guilty pleasure. The shows can be super cheesy at times, but they are now dear to my heart. I love Korea!


1 comment:

  1. had never heard of this before! thanks for the intro.happy holidays! hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! I am hosting 3 great giveaways, 2 of which end at midnight, tonight :) xo!

    ReplyDelete